Sunday, April 5, 2009

We be walkin'.....


We took a little stroll today. Originally, we were going to hike at Devils Den (a nice little state park about 10 miles from our house) but found out there was some big mountain bike thing going on today and most of the trails were closed off for them. I like mountain bikes..but only when I'm riding them..was thinking walking around while a few dozen mountain bikers tried crash faster than everyone else (crashing is what mountain bikers are most fond of doing) was not going to be a lot of fun.

So we shifted a bit. The start of the Ozark Highlands Trail, the soon to be scene of my pending lunacy, is only about 20 miles from our house. So we decided to take a stroll there.

The beginning of the OHT is actually a great trail to start of the walkin' season on. There is a section 3 miles long before you have to do a major creek crossing and it's relatively flat since it following alongside Lake Ft. Smith. Off we proceeded...or we proceeded to be off, I get those confused.

There is a really nice ranger station and parking lot at the beginning. The trails kind of rolls along, no real elevation gain or loss, a very good thing this early in the season. Lots of little rivulets to step across but nothing major...pretty much a walk you could do in sandals if you so chose..we didn't.

The weather cooperated with us well... overcast but no rain. A bit breezy but comfortable with just a shell or minus the shell after walking a bit. I do wish that I had chosen the long sleeve shirt this morning though. I was a bit warm with the shell on but my arms would get cold when I took it off...I chose to be a bit cooler rather than sweating in the shell. I'm thinking there will be plenty of time for sweating on trails at a slightly later date.

We ran across these tiny little plants bunched together (see picture at beginning of post). To me they looked like umbrellas on a piazza at a small Italian seaside village, all furled up in the last cold of winter waiting spring's warmth and the arrival of the tourist horde.

We hiked in the 3 miles to the river crossing at the end of the lake. I will eventually have to cross this river when I do my long walk but we decided today was a good day to keep our feet dry. Plus we figured 6 miles was a good distance for this hike... so we must ate a bite of lunch and headed back.

Overall, a very good day of hiking. Good weather, easy trail, great company (I can think of a few others I would have enjoyed taking the stroll with us though).

..take care...t

2 comments:

  1. Need photos of these flowers. Also, smart to avoid mountain bikers unless you are a mountain biker. Excellent decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, you being right about all things bloggish, I took your advice...thanks...t

    ReplyDelete