Saturday, March 28, 2009

Hairy Ole TechnoMonkey...

Been working the last couple of days at upping the techno quotient of my little world. As I've mentioned before I am now also on Twitter.

Twitter is an interesting application in that it expands your social networking reach. It has a very limited scope as far as the amount of information you can put on your homepage...which is a good thing since pretty much everyone in the world can see it...best to remain a bit mysterious. Basically you can put your name/user name (you don't have to use your actual name), a location (you can be as vague as you like), and a short 140 character bio (lie your butt off if you so desire).

Once you have established your page you can then "follow" ANYONE else who has a twitter account and ANYONE else who has an account can "follow" you. What this means is that when someone you are following updates their status, it will show up on your "home" page. Updates can only be 140 characters long. By the same token, when you update your page, all those following you will see it on their home page.

This can be expanded to an RSS feed to your email reader (such as Outlook) and if your phone is web capable you can check it from your phone. You can also do @replies to others which is most often used to respond to something someone else posted. Plus there is a 'direct message' capability that allows you to send a 140 character message to a single person.

Who do you follow? Anyone you want to.... currently I am following around 40 something folks...I know face to face about 4 of them, I'm patiently waiting for all of you to establish Twitter accounts so I can follow you. A lot of them are businesses and news feed type accounts such as the Northwest Arkansas Times, the Walton Arts Center, Arkansas State Parks, but some of them are just folks that share certain philosophies with me, or are just plain funny.

If you look to your right..you will see that I've added a Twitter feed to this blog. It will show the last five updates I've put into the twitter account.

Another addition I made was to link to LoopT. LoopT is a program that uses the GPS capability in my phone to send a URL to my twitter update. If you follow the URL you will be able to see a google-type map of where I was when I did that update.

Email me or chase me down if you want me to help you set these type of things up....

We'll see how this works out.... take care...t

No comments:

Post a Comment