Sunday, March 22, 2009

Timbo does the Limbo...

..or at least Tim becomes involved with the limbs. One more round of limb removal from the January ice storm...this time with heavy machinery. Martha and Larry, Lynn and Chris, and Misty had planned an effort to finish removing the hanging, broken tree limbs that resulted from the (use your best old man remembering long past events voice here) Ice Storm of '09. Since there is a standing request to my local relatives that I be invited to any event with the high possibility of death or dismemberment they kindly invited me over for the Saturday festivities.

What I found most amazing about the whole experience was that anyone can walk into an equipment rental store and rent a piece of hugely hazardous piece of equipment...the man-lift. We're talking about a piece of equipment that can hoist two people, forty five feet up in the air and swing them around a bit. You could almost hear the lift saying... "How can I kill thee...let me count the ways....".

You could get a bodily appendages in any one of about 187 scissoring pinch points, which would sever said bodily appendage without even slowing down. You could run afoul of overhead power lines, not a good thing if you're standing on a piece of all metal machinery. You could man-lift yourself right into an immovable overhead object, such as a tree limb. You could lean too far out of the cage while forty five feet in the air and have a rather painful reunion with the Earth. Boy, did we have a good time.

For some odd reason I never got to operate the man-lift...I think they've been reading my updates on the renovation...it was probably that "Hunka, hunka burning love" post that kept me away from the control.

I did get to flail around for a while with the pole chainsaw..it was pretty cool. A chainsaw at the end of a five foot pole. One good thing about it...I didn't worry as much about whacking off my own kneecaps with it as I do with the regular chainsaws. However, others around you are probably in bigger danger...especially when you're bouncing around thirty feet in the air.

Despite all the possibilities for serious problems...we all managed to get through the day with no injuries, all the trees cut down, and pizza at the end... thanks for inviting me along...

..take care... t

1 comment:

  1. You are most welcome Timbo!!! Just following orders from my bro!! Love you, Martha

    ReplyDelete