Thursday, March 26, 2009

Less excitement than usual...

For some odd reason I have managed to get through a couple of days without causing any serious excitement.

Did some more plumbing work. Replaces all the innards and the seat for the main floor guest half bath. The bolt on it were also pretty corroded but I managed to get them off through the somewhat ingenious, if I do say so myself, use of two sets of vise grips. That whole, squeeze this rather bulky body into those tiny spaces where plumbing resides came up again. Not sure how to solve it. I have one more to do in the future, the basement bath needs refurbishment and it sits in an even more confined space...I guess I'll just think small thoughts.

Spring has sprung and the grass has started growing again. In Hawaii our lawn was so small that a mowing type machine wasn't really necessary. A bit of a different story here. As we headed over to Martha's for green chili (REALLY good chili, Martha, thanks) we were talking about the need to get a riding mower soon...as in really soon.

Have you seen the prices of riding mowers though....I was wonder exactly which appendage I would need to relinquish in order to obtain one. As we turned a corner near Martha's we saw a riding mower with grass catcher and utility trailer sitting in a yard with a for sale sign on it. We took down the number, I called and the guy said he wanted a price for it that seemed like a really good deal. So we turned around, went back and discovered...it was a really good deal. Since we were in the Jeep, I will go back in today with the pick up and pick it up.

Continuing preps for the long walk. Spending time moving the body forward under its own power, finding and inventorying the gear I have, doing research on my spare time, and we're going out to scout a section this weekend. My plan is to do an experimental overnight along a treail that is at the beginning of section 5. There is a 10.2 mile section between a numbered highway and a county road that has a creek crossing about the 5 mile mark.

This section should be good for a first trial. Five miles isn't much to have to do in a full day, there will be water to resupply from at the night stopping point, and Cyrilee can pick me up at the county road the next day. I plan to do this on the weekend of April 18 and 19.

Another YEAH!... the sofa and two chairs that have been on back order for a month should arrive today between 11 and 1. Now if folks dare to venture this far off the beaten path we can at least offer them a place to sit when they arrive.

I'll see what I can do about generating more excitement for the next posting... the little bluish birds keep ending up in the stove, and now have started ending up in the fireplace also. I need to screen off the tops of the chimneys... me with a compromised balance system, on the roof...that's bound to create some excitement. Guess I need to find those climbing ropes.

take care.. t

No comments:

Post a Comment